Wedding Wednesday

So kids, we decided to call it off.

Kidding! Did I scare you? Ha, well I’m only half kidding guys…

See, Jason and I had this long, long, looong talk about where we saw this wedding going. I’m the kinda girl who would have just done a city hall wedding and then a year-long trip around the world. Jason wanted a big big family affair.  Arguments happened, discussions were had where the positives and negatives of each were debated.

And in the end, we drew a line in the middle, and went for a happy medium. I get my city hall, and he gets a big family reception.

It’s been a hectic year and from the looks of it next year will just get busier, so planning a wedding just weighed on me really heavily.  Instead of feeling excited when I saw wedding magazines or dresses, I just got stressed. And Jason noticed of course. So guys, we called it off. The Big Wedding, that is. We are still getting married, but it’ll be just the two of us, with our immediate families at city hall here in Toronto, and then a nice big reception at a restaurant or someone’s home.

Simple, sweet, and totally us. I’ve been so excited ever since.

Here’s a very sweet video below… I love their first dance on the sidewalk :)

Wish us luck!

xx!

, ,

8 Responses to Wedding Wednesday

1. Gaby [The Vault Files] November 30, 2011 at 3:46 am #

Yeah for a slight second you scared me! I like medium weddings, as in a small party with just the closest of the closest and at the beach on a late afternoon, that would be dreamy! We had a big wedding, but if I had to choose again, I would do it small, is more intimate ;)
    Good luck and my best wishes! when is it?

2. Lindsey November 30, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

you've made such a great decision and I think that you'll be sooo glad not only now for the stress relief but also on the day…that day is supposed to be just about you and jason and your love…all the other stuff really doesn't matter…those are just things.
    i'm so happy for you guys and wish you both nothing but years of happiness and joy :)
    that video was super cute btw and i can totally see you guys doing this!! very exciting!
    love you both tons xx

3. admin November 30, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

Thanks ladies!!! I do feel like I’ve made the right decision, we both do actually! Linds, I’d still looooove to see you there!!!

xx!!!

• Lindsey December 1, 2011 at 8:18 am #

wouldn’t miss it for the world :)
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Brynn {chartreuse & a twist} December 1, 2011 at 2:11 am #

congrats to you guys!!! you have to do what feels right :) and that video is the absolute sweetest!!! xoxoxo brynn

5. Maya December 1, 2011 at 7:48 am #

congrats to you both! recently did the same thing, we started planning the big wedding hoopla just for the sake of our parents and this passed weekend we sat down and had a long, long talk and decided to do what will make us happy! small city hall wedding followed by a nice dinner with family. just like yours. planning weddings is freaking stressful, i am a designer/pm so i enjoy that, however trying to make my parents and us happy at the same time was not working. i’m so glad we decided against it, what a relief, now we can actually sleep at nite! we will still keep our original date of may 12, 2012. wish you all the best! wait…does that mean no wedding Wednesdays? i still enjoyed your posts!

6. April P. December 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

Hi! I’m April (the girl from the wedding video). I saw your post through vimeo and I wanted to jump in on the conversation!

I can totally relate to the stress and the weight you mentioned due to the wedding planning. I work in the wedding industry and I was STILL overwhelmed with a feeling of ‘this just isn’t for us’. We did plan a wedding and lost quite a bit of money after calling it off, but I wouldn’t change our elopement for anything. It was so worth it, so ours, so easy, and so magical.

Good for you for doing what’s right for you guys and following your heart on this. I think it’s a fantastic idea to do something small and then have a party. We actually just had our reception and if you’d like some tips on handle all that, send me an email. Not that you need tips, but i do feel like i learned a lot. We had ours almost 11 months after and it was way too long of a gap. In the end, we didn’t love our reception, so we’re so thankful that we had such a perfect wedding day. The party confirmed that we were right to city hall it up!

Best of luck to you, and have fun!

-April

side note- if you need a videographer suggestion, let me know. we’re so happy we have our wedding video! it helped our friends and family feel connected to our day.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. As Ink Remains // Wedding Wednesday - January 4, 2012

[...] flipping over to my other wedding related posts? Check out some inspiring videos here and here, a beautiful Toronto-based wedding here, and stunning wedding [...]