Ok. Here’s my warning. These, are wicked addictive.
There are only four ingredients. Yes, four.
And one of them are saltine crackers (ghetto yeah but aren’t those the best kind?) And yes those four ingredients combined make up this delicious, addictive treat you’ll probably want to make over and over but won’t because well, it’s so damn delicious you’ll eat it all every time and get super chunky. Haha yay holidays for giving us the excuse to binge eat yes?
Anyhoo. Keep scrolling for the full recipe…
Crunchy Chocolate Toffee Bits (Original recipe found here. Check out more indulgent recipes there too!)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (no margarine allowed)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 40 saltine crackers (more or less..depending the size of your pan)
- any extra bits you can think of! Broken candy canes, toffee bits, peanuts, pretzel bits… etc!
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Line cookie sheet with foil and grease with butter.
- Lay a flat layer of crackers out on the foil.
- Melt the sugar and butter until a boil is reached. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour this mixture over the crackers and spread to coat evenly. Bake for 5-8 minutes, or until the toffee becomes bubbly.
- After removing the pan from the oven, let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the chocolate chips, let them soften and melt, and then spread them into an even layer.
- Let cool and, if desired for expediting purposes, refrigerate until hardened. Break into pieces the size of your choice.
- Eat them!! Keep whatever is left over in a Tupperware container and keep chilled.