I’ve been in Vancouver for a week now. It’s been a revelation and a confirmation of my life, my goals. The redwoods are mighty and the ocean is vast and blue and brilliant. Guys, it’s beautiful. So so beautiful. I’ve been told that Vancouver in the summer is magical. I believe it. And you’ve probably noticed that my instagram has been on fire lately. Yeah, I’m trying to eat all of vancouver at once.
I’ve told myself that I’ll have a page dedicated to things I have done, or want to do in Vancouver in case there are other new vancouverites (vancouverans?) out there that want to join/keep up. It’ll also be a good reference point for me, because I tend to go blank when asked where the good places are.
There’s just so much to share really. So I’ll give you a top ten for the sake of ease:
1. People are crazy nice. This probably should have been on the top of the things I love about this place. But seriously. Even the cool people working at the cool restaurants and cool stores and cool whatevers take the time to be nice. Our waiter at Alibi took the time to make us a list of good desert places to check out. The ladies at Zara smile here! at Zara! OH and BEST STORY: I lost my OHIP card yesterday, and after walking my entire running route again to look for it, I received an email from the nicest man asking me if I’d lost my card. He googled my name (brilliant!) and found my blog and then emailed me. B-E-S-T. (Heck Toronto has its fair share of lovely smiley people but let me have this one yeah?)
2. It’s lush. This place should really be in the tropics because their plants look like they could eat me. They are also the most beautiful things I’ve seen. Peonies and poppies? Pretty sure they’re considered weeds here.
3. I’ve done 3 yoga classes, a circuit class, and have run twice this week. There was an overlap on one day. I could just be running off those crazy exercise endorphins so bare with me.
4. SUSHI guys. the sushi is amaze balls. I said balls.
5. Six acres has popcorn on the menu. It’s delicious.
6. I thought I had a kidney infection on Wednesday (scary!) but turns out it was just all the crazy exercise I’ve been doing. And all the coffee I’d been drinking during onboarding. The minute I stopped drinking 5 cups of coffee/day and learned to relax it all went away. Also, peeing in a cup in a clinic and being told you’re fine helps too (haha TMI!)
7. Onboarding? My new job has ACTUAL TRAINING. Say what? There was yoga, there were panel discussions, there was a scavenger hunt. It’s pretty serious stuff. Oh, and they are so so serious about Goal Setting. Get ready to see me fly through my to-do’s.
8. The mountains! The ocean! The beaches! They’re all over the place people. BC is obviously Canada’s fave child because they got the best presents.
9. I found a place! It was so easy (friend of a friend – heck yes!!) It’s the tiniest place ever! BUT it’s 15 minutes away from work – for both Jason and I. I’m so so pumped.
10. I work at lululemon. In trends. Sweet jesus I’ve hit some kind of jackpot.
So there you have it folks. My first week in a tiny nutshell.
I do miss Toronto. And I miss my friends, and my family is so so far in Ottawa. That’s a reality I have to live with. But for the time being, Vancouver is a pretty gracious host.
Hope you’ve had a great weekend.